Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Mexican Fiesta!

Allow me to begin by saying Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.  My husband and I do not, but it was still a crazy day.  Since I had a long weekend I told him I'd make him anything he wanted for dinner Saturday night.  He said he wanted a Mexican Fiesta.  So a Mexican Fiesta it was.  Thursday night I compiled a list of recipes, and on Friday I headed to the store.  Big mistake. 

Since it was Christmas Eve, and they weren't open on Christmas Day, the place was a zoo.  I may as well have walked from my house with how far back I had to park.  I waited in line to get a cart and then went to the produce section, where there was enough room down each aisle for a single cart.  I parked my cart at the end of the aisles and ran down to grab the produce I needed.  After about half an hour in the produce section I went for meat, where for some reason people were parking their carts and gabbing.  Yay for bottlenecks!

After I got the various meats I needed, I went toward frozen foods, and was on the lookout for international foods, and baking.  International foods had food stuffs for nearly every country except Mexico.  Yay!  I must have missed baking in the gigantor store, and after grabbing frozen corn, I made a bee-line for the registers.  I'd had enough of impatience, being slammed with shopping carts, and screaming children.

Then I headed for my friendly, local grocery store for the rest of my ingredients.  All around the store were complaints of the place being a madhouse, but had they been through the hell I had just endured they would have been grateful for the semi-peaceful store they were in.

That night we went to my Mother-in-Law's for dinner.  It was nice and relaxing, and my husband invited them over for our Fiesta.  They agreed.

Fast forward to Saturday morning and there I am, realizing our place is a mess, and with a list of 8 dishes to make.  AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!  The husband had to work at 8, so from about 7:45 on I cooked and cleaned like a mad woman.  He got home from work around 4 and I still had 2 dishes I hadn't even started on, but the apartment was clean as a whistle.  The In-Laws never arrived.

We scratched the last 2 dishes, and sat down to our Fiesta.  Well, he sat down.  I continued to cook all while we ate.  Everything was delicious, and well worth the work.  By 8:00 we were serving dessert and the day had finally come to an end.  I laid down on the couch for a breather and could see my ankle swelling like crazy.

Within a few minutes I was asleep, pain or not.  We didn't even do any cleaning up until this morning.  As I type this the dishwasher is running it's fourth load in 2 days and all I want to do is go back to sleep.  Today will be a mostly lazy day, though, so that will be nice.

My ankle is still quite swollen, and very painful.  The current pain level is an 7/10, which is to be expected, I suppose.

No comments: