Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I think it might be helping

I really do think swimming might be helping my ankle.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still in pain, but I find the smallest things aren't exacerbating it as much.

I got the idea that I needed to start working my ankle out more when my husband told me about his friend who has CRPS.  She plays guitar to help stave off the symptoms (and oh boy can she play guitar!), and it really seems to work for her.  I decided I had to start doing something and see if that made a difference in my pain levels.

But what?  I always liked to run, and that's definitely out.  There's working out and then there's being downright dumb and in my case, running would be downright dumb.  That's when the cards fell into place and my swimming buddy asked me to start swimming with her.  I had been on the varsity team in high school, despite suffering from undiagnosed CRPS, so why can't I swim now that I have my SCS?

I'm so grateful everything came together like this.  Swimming makes me feel better in so many ways.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've passed this on to my friend and told her she should give swimming a try, too! So glad you are able to find some relief.

CRPS News said...

That's the spirit Kelli! There's no getting away from CRPS at the present time but sufferers should not let hopelessness into their lives. It's not always that easy but that's what you have to do. Geez, now I remember Dory. "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim." lol...
severe leg pain

Anonymous said...

I WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSED AND have in left ankle. is there a blog /support group on-line that u know of. just want to read about q & a and life experiences. please respond, amybutterfly13@aol.com

Kelli said...

Thank you for reading. I'm sorry about your recent diagnosis. Unfortunately the support group I used to use appears to have shut its forums down. At the moment I don't know of any others.

If you do find one please let me know where it is so I can pass the information along to the readers here.