Friday, October 10, 2008

Alternative Treatments

When the blocks stopped working and the epidural was out, we decided to see if holistic practices might help. We tried a number of them. The following are the most memorable:

I went to a Reflexologist for a period of time. She was great. The work she did not only helped a bit with the pain, my asthma, and allergies, but she also inspired me to get my massage therapy license (a license I hope to be able to use someday). I would recommend this treatment for a good number of conditions, but only if you can find a well trained, and licensed if that's required in your state, Reflexologist.

I also tried a therapy known as cold laser therapy. We kind of figured it was a crock to begin with, but ANYTHING to get rid of the pain. Well, I gave the therapist the benefit of the doubt for a number of treatments before deciding this wasn't for me, either.

Being a massage therapist, I learned the importance of meditation. Sometimes meditation will bring my pain level down. Sometimes it doesn't, but it always decreases my stress, which in turn helps with the pain.

No comments: