Thursday, October 23, 2008

Removal/The pain is back

One thing I learned through the trial: My posture sucks horribly. I need to work on that. The slightest of movements would change either where I felt the stimulation, or the strength of the stimulation. When I slouch (as I've been in the habit of doing my entire life), it increases the strength of the stimulation.

UGH! My doctor wasn't very gentle about the way he removed the sutures to remove the stimulator. He just took a needle and plucked at the sutures until they frayed and broke and then kind of just pulled them out. It wasn't the most pleasant of experiences.

He showed me the lead that was in my spine. I thought it was pretty cool. So my back hurts again, but only because of how the doctor pulled the sutures out. It didn't hurt at all when he actually pulled the lead out. After he removed the stimulator, we discussed having the permanent one implanted. My husband and I have decided that I'm definitely going to do it.

After that, my doctor left and the company rep came in. He showed me the battery and the remote that I will have, and explained the procedure to me. I'll be going in for the implant in about 4 weeks. It will be an outpatient procedure, so I will be able to have it in the same hospital as the trial.

They are going to make a small incision in my lower back and place the leads. They then fish wires down to another incision in my upper buttock (they will have to clear out some tissue there for this), where they will place the battery. They're going to use the x-rays from the trial placement to help them place the permanent stimulator, so it should be pretty easy to get it in the right spot.

I'm going to go with the rechargeable battery. That means they will have to open the incision in the buttock once every 6-10 years (according to the rep, with the settings I used it would most likely last 8 years) to replace the battery. He said unless there is a problem with the leads, they wll not reopen the incision in my lower back.

I left the office with a slight buzzing sensation in my leg still. It was about 40 degrees fahrenheit out, and the cold was definitely affecting my pain levels again. Within a few hours of being home my CRPS pain was back with a vengence. I can't wait until I have the permanent one implanted.

No comments: